Everyone’s busy. We don’t have time to make major changes in our lives, and we need to stop beating ourselves up when we can’t do all that we want to do. If you are a mother, you know how hard it is to find the time to go to the bathroom, let alone have a regular time at the gym. I try to exercise regularly and every year I tell myself that I’m going to get up at 6:00 am and exercise for at least 30 minutes every day. I go strong for a week and then I spend the rest of the year a bit defeated because I quit.
As women, in particular, we are too hard on ourselves. I think of the movie, What Women Want, and how Mel Gibson’s character discovers how much women are constantly solving the problems of the world in our heads. That is so true! We need to lighten up!
One of the things I loved when I lived in Spain was how much the communities were walkable. I could walk to the hairdresser, pharmacy, kid’s school, and a small grocery. My lifestyle included exercise and it wasn’t that hard to stay active. So this year let’s not worry about how often we don’t go to the gym. Let’s work on a light resolution that we can feel good about. Instead of a resolution to go to the gym 4 times a week, let’s make a resolution to bring more exercise into our lifestyle.
Here are some tips to make your lifestyle more active:
- Crazy Cleaning — take 15 minutes and give your house a fast and active clean
- Power Shoveling — get out and shovel that snow, listen to your ipod as you do it!
- Mail Sprint — run to the mailbox, jog in place for a few minutes and run back
- Grocery Dash — shopping with a purpose: get exercise and food
- Play Ball — throw the ball outside with the kids or even a Nerf basketball indoors
- Swing that partner — put up the music and dance with your kids or partner
- Quick stroll — get that baby in a stroller and go around the block a couple of times
- Shop and walk — park your car far from the store (even better, leave the car at home); and always walk your cart back
- Heart rate up — yep, take those stairs
I am sure you can think of other ideas. The point is by just adding spurts of exercise in your day you will still reap benefits of exercise and you will feel better! You don’t have to stop there either — you can always add more. It is better to get out and do something than to aim higher and get discouraged when you aren’t as perfect as you want to be. Kick those feet up instead of using them to kick yourself!